Thursday, March 27, 2014

Preview of Oncoming Fame: From Day Job to Dream Job


“Don’t quit your day job.” It’s a joking phrase often used as a jab, encouraging the listener not to pursue their passions and dreams. But the City of Mesa’s former risk manager Barry Hegrenes is not interested in that idea. He recently left his day job in pursuit of fresh risks to manage, in his new role as a touring performing artist.

Hegrenes, who goes by Dawgus Bear in his performing life, is a self-taught musician. He is a songwriter and guitarist, whose songs are inspired by the lives around him. And when he performs tomorrow night at Mesa Arts Center, the audience can expect to hear everything from Rock to Country, and Irish-influenced selections to Reggae.

“Music has been part of my life for a decade,” Bear said. “But I believe my original songs and messages speak to Baby Boomers who may be confused about their past and where they are going.” His show, Dawgus Bear POOF Tour (Preview Of Oncoming Fame), will be at the Mesa Art Center's Nesbitt-Elliott Playhouse, tomorrow night (March 28) at 8:15pm.

When asked about the motivation behind the career transition, Bear said, “At age 40, I just decided I was going to be a rock star. I called my best friend in Las Vegas and told him he needed to learn how to play bass guitar. He thought I was crazy. We were performing with a full band within 6 months.” We don’t think he’s looking back. And we are behind him 100%!

Would you have the courage to take the risk? More information about the one-night-only show is available, here.