Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Q & A with Mike Libecki from Nat Geo Live: Untamed Antarctica



What is the single most important piece of (nonessential) gear for you to have in the field, and why?

Without a doubt my two necklaces (they are on right now as usual). I have one from my mom that she gave me 20+ years ago. It is a pendant of St. Michael, my mom is Catholic and had it blessed by her priest.  She told me, that if I wear it, I will always come home alive from my expeditions.  And you know?  I have not take it off once in 20+ years!  Seriously.  Then the other necklace is of my daughter.  It is a small carving of a girl.  I put it soon after she was born.  So now, she is always with me when I am gone, every moment.  I have not taken it off in 11 years, she is 11 now, almost 12 years old.

What’s your favorite snack to take in the field? (Does your subject matter or environment ever limit your food choices?)

Definitely Clif Bars and their products.  Really, not just a plug for them.  I have taken huge amounts of their products on every expedition for over 15 years now.  It works, and works well and is perfect expedition food.  Also, I am obsessed with Justin's Maple Almond Butter!!! Lots of dried foods that cook quick, but whenever possible real food, cheese, beef jerky, chocolate, etc. 

Complete this sentence: When I starting working with NAT GEO, I never thought I would be .... 

...so fortunate to work with such amazing people, make such awesome new friends, and get to experience and share with and through National Geographic...Truly a life long dream come true.

In one sentence, describe the most breathtaking view you’ve enjoyed while in the field. In your response, tell us where it is and why you ended up there.

I will never forget when I was on the side of the Ship's Prow, a huge, 2,000 foot, vertical granite wall in Baffin Island, I was all alone soloing about half way up the wall, and this angel-ghost-white-like arctic owl was circling around me in all its peace and glory, snow gently falling, about -20 degrees, it was just the owl and I, checking each other out, curious about who or what this other being was...It was a gift from the Universe that is on the front walls of my mind.

What is the most treacherous terrain/environment or unpredictable situation you have encountered?

Definitely in Afghanistan.  I went solo to try and climb a first ascent on a big 1,800 foot rock tower. About 800 feet up, huge natural rock fall (a rock flake the size of my garage door) almost sent me to my grave.  It was the closest I have come to death.  The rock cut up my ropes and left me in tears.  I retreated with my tail between my legs...Yet, came back the next year and was able to make the summit.

In three sentences or less, how did you get involved with National Geographic? Do you have any advice for those who would love to be in your shoes.


I never rationed passion, in other words I stayed true to my passion of adventure and expeditions and bringing those stories home via photography, videography and writing.  I had been pursuing this passion for 20 years when a dream of mine came true: to start working with National Geographic.  My advice is simple: 100% commitment and optimism and patience with whatever it is you love, whatever it is that creates organic enthusiasm.  Why ration passion?