Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Q & A with National Geographic Explorer Steve Winter




1. What is the single most important piece of (non-essential) gear for you to have in the field, and why?
In the past, my most important piece of non-essential gear was a satellite phoneand it still is if I am in a remote enough area. Now that our world is blanketed by cell coverage, I get a local cell phone and I call home once or twice a day wherever I am.

2. What’s your favorite snack to take in the field? (Does your subject matter or environment ever limit your food choices?)
Now I am on a Whole Foods honey granola kick - I love it!

3. Complete this sentence: When I started working with National Geographic, I never thought I would be ....
A wildlife photojournalist. I didn’t photograph an animal until I was 34 years old. Now I photograph big cats!



4. What is the most breathtaking view you’ve enjoyed while in the field? In your response, tell us where it is and why you ended up there.
Everywhere I work is breathtaking!! The night sky is amazing from Wyoming to the Himalayas. Standing in a jungle and just listening to the symphony of the birds and other creatures while working on Yasuni in Ecuador for National Geographic magazine was special. I really love forests and their sounds throughout the world.

5. What is the most treacherous terrain/environment or unpredictable situation you have encountered?
This happens all the time. Snow leopard terrain is steep and at a high altitude so you have certain challenges. Working with wild animals can be a bit dangerous and you need to work with local people that know the area and animals. You need to have a very high level of trust in their abilities, as your life is in their hands. Getting charged by rhinos was the scariest situation I’ve been in while in the field. Unpredictable animal behavior is the worst. You simply cannot be prepared and you just always have to be prepared for that - like the boy scout motto!  I’m an Eagle Scout.

6. What is the most important piece of advice for aspiring photographers?
Learn how to tell a visual story. You don’t need to travel anywhere to do this. Find a story in your own town or neighborhood or someone in your family! Learn how to tell a story in the still image with 12 photos and then learn the basics of video and sound. Bringing your world to the world is the key.